548 is new area code in southwestern Ontario, joining 519, 226
Growing use of communications services fuels demand for new area code
Welcome to The 548.
Included on June 4, the new area code for southwestern Ontario, which is currently served by area codes 226 and 519.
The new 548 area code will be used in the communities of Windsor, Sarnia, London, Stratford, Owen Sound, Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph London.
The growing use of communications services has led to a huge increase in the requirement for telephone numbers in this region, the Telecommunications Alliance said in a news release Tuesday.
The introduction of a third area code will provide millions of additional telephone numbers with no impact on existing numbers, the alliance added.
The new 548 area code will coexist with the current area codes and will be introduced as new telephone numbers are issued.
"The new area code will be introduced gradually across southwestern Ontario once there is no longer a sufficient supply of numbers with the existing area codes [of] 226 and 519," Glen Brown, spokesman for the Canadian Numbering Administrator, said in a statement. "Telephone numbers will not change but subscribers may be offered a phone number with the 548 area code when they contact their provider for new or additional services."
Some important information for customers:
- Existing numbers keep the same area code and are not changed in any way.
- Local calling areas remain the same.
- The 911 emergency number remains a three-digit number.
- For local calls, people will always enter 10 digits, consisting of the area code and local seven-digit local number.
- Business customers using communications systems that restrict long distance calling will need to add 548 as a local area code.
Friday, September 30, 2016